From:
HNEEDHAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 1996 07:47:56 +0000
In addition to the units to which Betsy referred, I know of three alternatives:

SURVEY PRO (by Apian Software of California) is a very impressive survey
research package which is in use by, inter alia, the Glenbow in Calgary, the
Canadian Museum of Civilization and (starting next month!) the Canadian War
Museum. It has modules for constructing the survey form, a subprogram called
ENTRY PRO that lets you run the questionnaire on up to 5 PCs which your
visitors (or anyone else!) can use to input responses, and other modules for
analyzing data, doing a variety of statistical tests and generating reports,
complete with graphics. The survey contruction program is now available in
Windows and the whole thing is supposed to be released shortly for Windows in a
Beta test version, but Christina and I are still waiting! As it is, the half in
Windows, half in DOS status is annoying, but not enough to deter us from using
the program. Technical support is reported by one of my colleagues to be good.

For information, contact Apian Software, PO Box 1224, Menlo Park CA 949026,
voice 415-694-2900, fax 415-694-2904.

An alternative is a program an Ottawa dealer asked me yesterday to evaluate. It
is a DOS program (soon to be available in WINDOWS) called RAOSOFT SURVEY. It
has many of the same features as SURVEY PRO though the survey constuction
module is a bit more complicated to use. However, that module APPEARS to be
more flexible than SURVEY PRO (which is VERY flexible anyway!). Graphing and
crosstabs appear better in RAOSOFT, though I believe it has fewer statistical
functions and does not export as a .SYS file (for use by SPSS). Pricing
structure is different but when you add in the bits that come packaged with
Survey Pro, it is not that much cheaper.

For information and a demo diskette, contact: David Hull and Associates Ltd.,
5879-191A Street, Surrey BC Canada V3S 7N1, voice 604-576-6460, fax
604-576-6462.

Another alternative, where the visitors use telephones to input responses
through an 800 number to your host PC, is currently being marketed by the Wyatt
consulting group. It was demonstrated by Ray Everett of Wyatt Ottawa at the
Evaluation '95 world congress on evaluation in early November 95 in Vancouver.

For information, contact your local Wyatt office.

Harry Needham
Director, Programmes and Operations
Canadian War Museum