From:
HNEEDHAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 07:23:49 +0000
Kevin;

A few Australian examples:

1. The Old Melbourne Gaol. The remaining block of a Pentonville-style prison,
it is an erie 3 storey structure which includes an interior gallows whereon the
infamous Ned Kelly and more than a hundred other murderers met their just
deserts (desserts?!). The cells on the lower tier each contain the death mask
and a display of text and photos concerning one of these and there is also a
larger display which includes one of the surviving sets of Ned's armour. Two
evenings a week, there is a unique and very good form of ghost walk which takes
place with the aid of a single actor/interpreter. It's a very spooky place,
alleged to be haunted. Oh yes, you can buy a Ned kelly fridge magnet in the
shop, complete with armour; it's a hot item!

2. The Justice and Police Museum (in Sydney). I have not visited it personally,
but I believe it has lots of material on police work, implements such as
nightsticks, handcuffs, etc., material on notable criminals and crimes, etc.
They produce a number of "exhibitions in a box" for use by schools, etc.

3. Hyde Park Barracks (also in Sydney). This is the old convict barracks where
they were housed and from whence they went out to break rocks and do other
useful things in the colony each day. It contains interesting displays and one
of the old convict dormitories has been outfitted with hammocks. There is a
weekly program whereby visitors have a convict supper, sleep in a hammock
overnight, have breakfast and are then marched down to the harbour for a
cruise. The Barracks has some very good educational programs, especially those
aimed at quite young children. The security staff at night, I am told, refuse
to go up to the third floor.

I can give you the names of contacts for all three places, if you are
interested.

Harry Needham
Canadian Museum of Civilization