From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 15:19:32 EST
   I have an inquiry, and I hope to remember to change the subject before
   I send (clumsy mailer that way).

   As a going-away present for our VP for Development, we want to do a
   little riff on the decline of donor signage from the Renaissance to
   the present day.  I was put in mind of this when I was looking over an
   old Piero Della Francesca book with a picture of the Brera Alterpiece
   which has a madonna and child with angels, and donors kneeling in
   adoration (Montefeltros? the one with the big ridge on his nose, for
   all you Piero buffs, who is featured in profile one of Piero's panel
   paintings). Of course, we'll paste in our big donors faces, and our
   director as the Father...and various other donors as angels.

   So, where can I beg, buy, borrow, or steal (just kidding) digital
   images of Italian Renaissance alterpieces? The WebMuseum (formerly
   WebLouvre)?  It doesn't have to be Piero, the format is pretty well
   standardized (though of course the quality varies widely..) Raphael
   has a couple of likely candidates, as do any one of 100 Sienese,
   Florentine, Venetian, Umbrian, Roman, you get the picture...Now, where
   can I?

   I can use GIF's, since we have a reasonably good color printer, but
   the higher rez the better.  And the images can't/shouldn't be
   copyrighted (does a museum who owns an old picture hold copyright over
   the image, or is it in the public domain by virtue of the fact that it
   is 500 + years old?), though this could be construed as fair use as a
   parody...

   Eric Siegel