From:
Brenda Weatherston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 14:42:24 -0700
Cultural Resource Management Program at the University Of Victoria
A summary outline is now available for our upcoming course, "Human
Resource Management In Cultural Organizations" (February 14-23,
1996), with Lois Irvine, consultant in human resource management, and
chair of the Canadian Museums Human Resource Planning Committee.
There are still a few seats available - please let us know if you wish
to receive further information.

DRAFT COURSE OUTLINE:

THE BODY AND SOUL OF MANAGING PEOPLE
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 14
Introduction and Details of Course
Background:
* Why do we consider human resource management important?
- discussion
- factors: planning, integration of resources; social resposibility,
process & results
* Who are the human resources of cultural organizations?
- Different kinds of Organizations & Governance

PART I: THE BODY
* The Human Resource Wheel
- Definitions and discussion of eleven elements
* The Work of the Organization-Who does what
- job descriptions
- organization structure
- organization roles/jobs
- qualifications and competencies

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 15
* Job Evaluation and Compensation-who gets paid what and why
- evaluation methods - discussion and options
- compensation and benefits, purposes and issues
- qualifications, competencies and upgrading
- job satisfaction, motivation and rewards
* Recruitment and Selection - where do we get the people and how do we
select them
- where do we get the people - labour market
- equity issues
- how do we select them - purpose of interviews
- interview and selection methods & discussion
* Main Project Work

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16
* Facilitating Performance: Orientation, Policies, Expectations,
Performance, or, what do we do with them now that we have them
- general discussion
- orientation and position training
- legal considerations
- labour relations
- ethical statements
- policies and procedures - personel policies and manuals
- Guest Speaker (T.B.A.), performance management and questions
* Case Study on Performance Management - group discussion and class
summary

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19
* Human Resource Development - how do we help people to develop their
potential
- why do we train and educate?
- training and professional development
- discussion
- career development
- organizational development
- training plans
- evaluation
* Workplace Problems
- downsizing
- general discussion of issues
- Main Project Work

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 20
* Human Resource Planning, or, how to ensure that we have the right
number of  the right people
- definition and meanings
- forecasting, skills inventory, succession planning
- completing the circle-looking at support systems
- Human Resource Planning: do you need it?
- what does it mean for each organization
- the "soft" skills of human resource planning-combining body and
soul

PART 2: THE SOUL
* The Changing Workplace of the 90's - discussion of changes and
implications for management of people
* How do arts organizations differ in their Human Resource Management
needs
- Guest Speaker (T.B.A.) : Human Resources Management in an Art
Gallery; Overall Picture and Special Requirements e.g. artists'
relations, boards, volunteers

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 21
* Discussion of major problems/ issues in managing people in cultural
organizations
* Organizational Effectiveness, or Where does Managing People fit
into the Success of the Organization
- the ingredients
- the why and the how - integrating planning
- human resource effectiveness
* The Integrated Aspects of Managing People
- leadership and management styles
- decision-making
- organizational culture and climate
- organizational values
- organizational structure
* Communicating to the Individuals and the Team
- communications not as simple as it looks
- video "More Bloody Meetings"& discussion

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 22
* Facing Change -discussion
- how much, how fast - environmental, political, social, economic,
demographic, technological
- how do we structure change?
* Methods of approaching
- team building - who is the team?
- conflict resolution
- stress management
- psychology of change and counselling
* Project Work

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 23
* The Learning Organization
* Roles in Managing People
- Evaluator - Counsellor - Coach - Mentor - Trainer - Disciplinarian -
 Monitor - Facilitator - Other
* Responsibilities - Now that we know what we are doing who does what?
- Board - Director or Senior Executive - Line Manager - Human
Resource Manager and Staff - Supervisor - Individual - Contract -
Temporary, Part-time - Volunteers
- National and Provincial Associations
- Special Interest Groups - Networks
* Project Presentations
* Wrap-Up and Discussion of Where we go from here
- Reflections on the Course - issues, questions, assistance
- Final Reflection and Evaluation

Please contact:
Brenda Weatherston, Program Coordinator
Cultural Resource Management Program
University of Victoria,
PO Box 3030, Victoria B.C. Canada V8W 3N6
Phone 604 721 6119
FAX 604 721 8774
email: [log in to unmask]
Please visit our WWWeb Site: