From:
Doug Lantry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 01:43:34 -0500
On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, lisa falk wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I think we need to do something about museum
> salaries....$15,000. for a FULL_TIME professional position?!  Who can
> possibly live on anything lower than $25,000 and even that is a feat
> worth commemorating, I don't care where you live.

I live on less than that as a grad student.  Commemorative gifts gladly
accepted!

> In general, most museum positions pay poorly--why?  and what can we do to
> change this?

Museums pay poorly because they don't generate profit.  Museum people get
paid very little for the same reasons other educators get paid very
little.  They don't generate cash.  This is also why lawyers in mergers &
acquisitions get paid lots of money, no?

To change this?  Hmm.  Come up with a plan to persuade more people to value
knowledge as much as profit.

Doug Lantry
University of Delaware