From:
Kate Holliday <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 20:53:13 GMT
If you are looking for a concise biographical sketch of William Aiken Walker,
the "Encyclopaedia of New Orleans Artists, 1718-1918" (1987, Historic New
Orleans Collection) provides a brief entry on the artist, including the dates
of his birth and death, the dates of his travels through the south, dates and
locations of some exhibits of his work, and other information of this type, as
well as a brief bibliography of sources that refer to Walker.  In addition to
the book James Martin mentioned, there is also "William Aiken Walker: Southern
Genre Painter," by Trovaioli and Toledano (LSU Press, 1972).

At the Historic New Orleans Collection (HNOC) we have several paintings by
Walker, including genre scenes and landscapes.  He was also extremely active
in New Orleans arts circles -- if you need any further information, please
don't hesitate to contact me at the HNOC.  We have an extensive artist's file
on Walker that I can look through to answer any specific questions you may
have.

Kate Holliday
Curatorial Cataloger
Historic New Orleans Collection