From:
Strongvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 16:04:31 -0500
do you say that you sell penguins?  To whom?

 I rather like the idea of selling replicas of things in the museum, there
is an unfortunate but very real demension of aquisitiveness that is
generated by the sight of beautiful objects of material culture.  What
better way of helping the visitor to take something home, both
intellectually and physically from the exhibit.  It serves to make the
collection a rich accessable resource rather than just "lookit what we got
and you can't have".   I also like the idea that artists, selling work
inspired by exposure to the material of other cultures can do new takes,
original work based on exhibit material.  It is one of the ways that the
past can be integrated into our present lives.  More like this should be
done.  But again ......raising and selling penguins???
Pat Strong
Pre program Conservation student