From:
"Awald, John AgHerMus" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 10:43:00 PST
I received four replies to my request for information on photolabs that can
reproduce historic motion picture films (8 and 16 mm).

From:  Michael Knies, Collections Manager/Archivist at the Canal Museum in
       Easton PA <[log in to unmask]>

"One of the best film labs for duplicating old and damaged footage is
John E. Allen Inc.  Their studio is called Cinema Arts and is located in
Angels PA. Call (717) 676-4145."

From:  Doug Kendall, Curator of Domestic Life, State Historical Society of
       Wisconsin, Museum Division 816 State St., Madison WI 53706;
       (608)-264-6552 e-mail: [log in to unmask]

"Have you contacted the Wisconsin Center for Film & Theatre Research, which
is housed in our building?  I would think they could help.  Try Maxine
Fleckner-Ducey, the Film Archivist, at the snail mail address below, or phone
(608)-264-6466/6467."

From: Dave Maschino, Exhibit Coordinator, The Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum
      Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME 04011, (207) 725-3174 voice,

"The Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum has used John E. Allen,Inc. in the
past. They do very careful work with our old Nitrate 35mm and early 16mm
films. They have a process that does not use sprocket gears. Our films
are so deformed by age that a sprocket would destroy the film as its
copied. Anyway, that who we decided on.

John E. Allen, Inc.
116 North Avenue
Park Ridge, New Jersey 07656
(201)391-3299
FAX 201-391-6335"

From:  Ed Pershey, Western Reserve Historical Society, Cleveland, OH

"Don't know what kind of professional film labs there are out in South
Dakota...copying of historic films is highly recommended, but you'll need to
make sure that the person/lab doing the work has done this sore of thing
before. With fragile pieces...heck, with any historic films...this is done
best on a flatbed editing table that doesn't grab the film with sprockets.
Contact the Library of Congress about specs for such transfers."

I would enjoy hearing about other successes -- there simple has to be more
labs our there that can help, closer to SD (Minneapolis ?  Kansas City ?
Omaha?)  Thoughts, Suggestions ??

Please copy your reply off list to me at <[log in to unmask]>

John Awald
Director
Ag Heritage Museum
South Dakota State University