From:
Joe Nagel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 07:59:17 -0800
My previous posting notwithstanding, I generally agree with Joe Ruggiero's
comments below.  I am not a fan of "systematic" exhibits in public
institutions.  Large ones, such as the mineral gallery in London, have
little to say to the average, or even informed, visitor. On the other hand,
in a university setting, a carefully done and limited "systematic" exhibit
can be of great use to students and at the same serve to establish an
academic context for the general visitor.  While my previous posting said
that "as much as half" (I think) of the exhibit was devoted to this
approach, it could also be stated as "only half."

>As of now there are no official channels for communication between our
>exhibit program and various course requirements. I'm not really sure I
>want any. I don't think that our exhibits should be built to meet the
>needs of instructors or their courses. And I certainly do not want to be
>directed by say, the school of sciences to build any specific exhibits.
>
>Let's keep in mind our primary purpose for being in existance.
>Both schools and museums are institutions organized to inspire, and maybe
>educate, individuals. Therefore, in my view we do not exist to serve the
>needs of schools, but our visitors.

Joe Nagel (KUSTOS Inc.)
2961 Semiahmoo Trail
Surrey, B.C.  V4P 1H4