From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 12:02:30 -0800
>Jim: Of course a visit to a Web site can be a compelling and complex experienc
>e--just as many books (including museum catalogs) can be compelling and complex
>  So what?  But if a surrogate for a museum CAUSED people not to bother visiti
>ng the real museum, I'd think that was B-A-D!  And if a museum invested more mo
>ney in its Web site ("virtual" museum? how about "pseudo-museum"?) than in cons
>erving and exhibiting its real objects, I'd say that was B-A-D!

David points out a few things:

1.  A surrogate for a museum (i.e., a web site) may cause people 'not to
bother visiting the real museum'.

2.  A museum may invest more money in its web iste than in conserving and
exhibiting its real objects.

David feels both of these are 'B-A-D'.

Regarding the first point, I think it is unlikely that a visit to a web
site would cause one to avoid 'real' museums.  However, I don't have data
to support this view.  It is possible, and therefor we should consider that
outcome.  A time may come where 'real' museums are simple storehouses and
centers for research and education, but actual 'visitorship' is no longer
significant.  Perhaps the visitor to the 'virtual museum' will be able to
view and manipulate simulated objects, and achieve a level of interactivity
not possible when dealing with the constraints involved in handling actual,
often irreplaceable objects.  Perhaps museums which do not explore the use
of this technology while the technology is still in its infancy will find
themselves to be in the same position of some charming old museums which
haven't changed much since the 1930's and presently suffer from lack of
support and funding.

As for the second point, it seems highly likely that some museums may
invest more in its web site than in conserving and exhibiting artifacts.  I
would guess that some museums already spend far more on outreach and
educational programs than on conservation.  Obviously enough money needs to
remain available to preserve our collections and to make them available for
research, but perhaps someday money will be better spent exhibiting objects
virtually.

Change is not 'B-A-D', although it can be frightening.

So, have I been reading too much science fiction?  Try reading Melissa
Scott's Novel "Trouble and Her Friends".  Very entertaining and possibly
prophetic.

Jim

Jim Angus
Director of Information Technology and Hypermedia Programs
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

voice:  213/744-3317
fax:    213/746-2999