From:
Patti Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 14:24:02 -0500
The McMichael Canadian Art Collection is recognizing Day without Art with a
week-long program entitled:  "Depleting The Landscape:  The Loss of Canadian
Culture Through A.I.D.S.".

The McMichael is dedicated to the exploration of the evolving Canadian
artistic expression; as such, we need to look at the development of Canadian
artistic expression as well as examine the causes that impede cultural
development. "Depleting the Landscape: The Loss of Canadian Culture Through
AIDS", enables the McMichael to dedicate time to an often overlooked yet
vital component of our cultural history. By situating the program within the
context of international Day Without Art programs, we are joining together
with other arts groups around the world in a joint effort of awareness,
remembrance and commitment.

It is our intention that this program will examine the impact of AIDS on the
cultural community. This program has been designed with the McMichael
community in mind and will not be a program aimed specifically at disease
prevention or the social/sexual implication of transmission. It is designed
as a memorial program examining loss in a variety of cultural expressions as
well as the manner in which the arts community has sought to commemorate and
celebrate those who have been lost.

This program will be directed at a variety of audiences, including
Schools, Colleges and Universities, General Adult Visitors, General Family
Visitors, Arts Community, and the DWA/AIDS Community.

Program components include:

* Artist-in-Residency and Artist's Talk (Andy Fabo)
* Public Forum:  "Four Responses To The Loss of Canadian Culture Through AIDS"
* The Window Project (a hands-on workshop for the general public
commemorating loss in all of its forms)
* Veiling Of One Artwork on December 1st

For more information, please contact Ruth Wieder, Coordinator: Public
Programs at (905) 893-0344, ext.228.
Patricia Moore
Head, Programs & Interpretation
McMichael Canadian Art Collection