From:
Joel Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:19:28 EST5EDT
>I am seeking a source for custom-made, three-dimensional, topographic
>models. If I sound like I'm talking gibberish, it's because I don't know if
>a more precise name for this object exists.

>What I'm envisioning is a scale model (perhaps 3 or 4 feet square) made of
>molded fiberglass(?) or some other sturdy, outdoor material which
>illustrates the topography of a canyon river system and the plateau/prairie
>land above it, for an area of about 20 square miles.

>Has anyone had experience with this kind of interpretive aid, and is anyone
>familiar with a manufacturing source?

>Please reply directly to me, as this may be too specific to be of interest
>to the list.

>Thank you,

>Virginia Parks

>     Virginia Parks, Educational Consultant/Archaeologist
>        U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Portland, OR
>      Tel: (503) 231-6171   E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Hello Virginia.

We recently cut a 20 foot by 15 foot by 10 inch vertical height topographic
map of the state of Connecticut.  It is cut in polystyrene foam with an epoxy
coating.  We did this in-house using our computer-controlled router, from the
United States Geological Survey's Digital Elevation Model data.  Very accurate
results, and the computer did all the hard work of handling over two million
data points.

It is possible we could do similar cutting for you.  It depends on the
availability of the Digital Elevation Model data, which is only partially done
around the nation.  From a quick look at the map I have, Oregon is about 40%
covered.

Would be glad to send more info.

Regards,
Joel Clark