Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Henry B. Crawford" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 14:36:29 -0600
>I have already interjected the premise that-however
>well-intentioned the heroic efforts to keep inside-the-Beltway
>museums open, e.g., the Vermeer exhibit-to do so is a big
>mistake in the context of the political dynamics of the
>budgetary process.

>I am sure that museum people think of themselves primarily as "museum
>professionals," and from that perspective are inclined to
>applaud the heroic efforts and their success. They do not see
>themselves as primarily "government workers," and consequently
>probably do not realize how keeping such high-visibility
>government operations as museums at the seat of power open
>damages the cause of other "government workers. . .

>"Everyone came to take it
>for granted, got fat and lazy, and that-coupled with some
>undoubted excesses and corruption-have apparently caused
>workers to view "solidarity" with either indifference or
>disdain. Perhaps they choose to view what they do as not being
>"labor": "I am a professional," not a working person . . .
>Until working people realize that unless they organize and
>combine for power, they will continue to get [deleted] over by
>"management."

Hello.  Excuse me.  We ARE museum professionals, and WORK very hard at it.
We are not labor leaders, not politicians.  We are the custodians of a
culture, and serve a higher purpose than mere petty politics.  Don't saddle
us with the guilt of today's labor and budget problems.  In our business we
are obligated to care for  and interpret our cultural patrimony, no matter
what.  The objects in National collections still need attention no matter
what the financial position of the government happens to be, and our
colleagues in Fed museums do whatever it takes to care for them.  I realize
that many federal museum employees CAN'T go to their work places regardless
of whether they want to.  Nontheless, I commend those in the Fed system who
can and do recognize their professional obligations above fleeting
political agendas.

Henry B. Crawford                                       v
Curator of History                                       v
Museum of Texas Tech University               v
Box 43191                                                   v
Lubbock, TX  79409-3191                         v
806/742-2442                                          v
FAX 742-1136                                            v
[log in to unmask]                                     V
All opinions expressed are mine                   v