From:
Huronia Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 19:04:00 +0000
----------
I have come across a couple of references in our local history about a 35 or 41
foot launch (depends if you are reading a history book or a newspaper)
"Beatrice" that was built in Midland, Ontario at the Georgian Bay
Shipbuilding Co. in 1921.

She was a raised deck with a 10.5 foot beam and 6' 10" headroom.  It was
equipped with all the comforts of home, including a dining room and library.  It
was powered by a small Diesel engine.

She was built for Dr. Paul Morgan (also referred to as Paul Morgan Ogilvie in
some material) who was a Doctor of Laws from Columbia U.  He had the ship/boat
built for his honeymoon trip which lasted 5 years!  (no snickering please)...
They sailed the world through all the oceans and famous waterways (Nile, Danube,
Rhine, etc).  Apparently they ended their trip in L.A. in 1927.

He was apparently studying non-verbal communication (stop snickering!) I assume
by communicating with different nationalities  without
speaking the language.  He is said to have promised to write a book about his
adventures and place a copy of it in the Midland Public Library.

My research thus far has prompted more questions than answers:

1. Who was Dr. Morgan (Ogilvie)?
2. Where did he get his money? (J.P. Morgan?)
3.  Why did he have the vessel built in Midland and what, if any, connection did
he have to Midland.
4. Did he have any crew? (apparently not)
5. Was he a sailor of note? (Quite a trip for a novice.)
6. Did his trip set any records for such a vessel of the time?
7. Are there any photos of Morgan or the Beatrice?

If anyone has any idea where such information is hidden drop me a line.

Cheers,

Bill Smith
Assistant Curator
Huronia Museum

One cannot build a reputation on good intentions.  (Henry Ford)