From:
Kersti Krug <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 09:55:55 -0800
What an extraordinary story.  I also have no definition for
"storytelling," but have a similar story to tell.  A couple of years ago,
I was called from my office to the reception area of the Museum of
Anthropology.  A man was complaining, I was told, and the student who
served at reception, felt unable to deal with his complaint.  As soon as I
got there, I could understand why she could not.  The man's face was
almost purple, his fists were clenched, his body rigid as if fighting for
control.

How dare we, he said to me, present such a one-sided story as we
apparently had in a sourcebook (sourcebooks are ring-bound collections of
text and images, usually produced by anthropology students, on some
specific issue, most often involving First Peoples).  This particular one
was a collection of clippings about the crisis at Oka (in which the Quebec
police and the Canadian army faced off against a group of Mohawks).
Students had pulled together all that had been written about the crisis in
the public press and highlighted parts they thought worth noting.  They
had included at the beginning who they were and what perspectives they
brought to this look through mainstream public opinion.

How dare we, a museum, he continued, not present a balanced version of
what "actually" happened.  Though his anger was unnerving, I plodded on
with my answer:  that "balance" was in the eye of the beholder, that for
centuries (and still today) any so-called "balance" has been skewed to a
colonial view of "truth," and that balance should perhaps be measured
between the museum and some outside world, or over time.  My explanation
did not reach his ears, though after what seemed like an eternity of
staring one another down, he left, promising to write the director (don't
know if he ever did.)

Evidently, there are those for whom story means "their story," not someone
else's story -- or IF someone else's story, then not without rebuttal.
Museums, to these people, are also places for "true" stories to be told.
Some of this we may have brought on ourselves over years of speaking with
voices of authority promising to our visitors an undeniable, universal
truth -- no need for balance then.  If so, might we see this as reaping
what we ourselves have sown?

Time, therefore, to distringuish Truth from My truth, Your truth, Their
truths.

Kersti Krug
Museum of Anthropology
& interdisciplinary doctoral student (from whence cometh the crankiness)
The University of Anthropology
Vancouver, Canada