From:
"T.Dyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 22:10:13 -0700
We haven't actually set up a colony of the little beasties yet, but
everytime we discuss the idea it is always in the context of someplace FAR
from our collections, such as on a different site. Apparently they are very
hard to contain.

>A proposal has been made to start a dermestic colony in the
>room next to our storage area.  This idea makes me VERY nervous.  The
>building in old, and not very "tight".  I am worried that we will
>soon have dermestids in our collections.  We already have periodic
>incursions of dermestids, and are constantly on watch for them with
>sticky glue traps.
>
>If any of you have had experince with dermestid colonies, please give
>me your input.  Do I have good reason to suggest the colony be placed
>elsewhere?  Or is it possible to really contain the little beasts?
>
>Thanks in advance, and All the best for the season.
>
>LaurelLaurel Casjens
>Curator of Collections
>Utah Museum of Natural History
>University of Utah
>Salt Lake City, UT 84112
>
>801-581-5578
>fax: 801-585-3684

Thomas Dyer
Exhibits Director
Nevada State Museum & Historical Society
700 Twin Lakes Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89107