From:
Dennis Dolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 09:44:21 -0800
>Jim Swanson wrote:
>
>>Information system managers are all abuzz about the millenium. They have
>>looked into the future, and forecast widespread disaster for the year 2000.
>>

>>You can forcast the fate of your own system by setting the clock to 11:55
>>p.m. on December 31, 1999, shutting down for ten minutes, and re-booting.

[snip]

>>The Macintosh survives the turnover, once the clock is manually reset to
>>the year 2000. DOS, I have heard, bombs irretrievably. Has anyone tried it
>>on the many incarnations of Windows?

Windows95 rolls over to 1980, but this is easily corrected by manually
setting the year.  I had not heard of any *operating system* problems with
DOS, but some older aps may not be able to deal with the change.  Of course,
by December 31, 1999, I doubt that many of us will still be using the same
system/software we are using now.

BTW, the Mac Performa that I must work on crashes more frequently, with more
data loss, than does the PC-compatible that I prefer to work on.  Each
platform has its strengths, and both are far from perfect, so let's not get
too smug, out there.

Happy holidays!
Dennis Dolan,    Admin Support Fellow
University of Oregon Arts & Administration Program
email:            [log in to unmask]
home page:   http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~ddolan/index.html