From:
Betsy Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 10:42:18 -0700
Susan:

there are a couple ways to go, but first you need to define the type of
learning you are going to measure. First are you going for cognitive gain
(did they add new knowledge) or affective learning (attitude),

Some examples for cognitive gain:  computers lend
themselves well to behavioralist type theories like immediate feedback.
That is if your program gives persons get an opportunity to be
posed with quarries and the correct response is immediate.

Another way is to use computers as a pre-organizer prior to a museum visit.
Examples would be to use the net to preorganize students to focus on
certain topics while at the museum (great for showing cognitive gain).
Another example would be to preorganize the general public visitor. Offer
them a prize if they request a survey after they see the net and see the
museum.  Test them on the survey and give them a button that says their an
interner visitor.

If you are going to show affective gain:  Did the information on the web
help them plan thier visit which brought them to the museum with a
learning attitude versus a playtime attitude?  Did the information on the
web help them find the museum which helped them get there with a more
pleasent attitude?  Did the information on the induce them to become
members since they were able to "bring the museum home"

Hope this helps.  Next year we begin testing our web site for
preorganizing teachers who come to our genetic science trainings.  Keep
in touch so we can compare results.

Betsy

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Susan R. Arshak wrote:

> As a member of a group of educators here at the Institution,  I've
> been given the interesting assignment of doing preliminary research
> about on-line learning (what works, what doesn't and why) prior to
> organizing a small, informal program next spring for staff involved
> in the web, the internet, homepages etc.  While there are many here
> who have years of computer experience -- I am a relative novice and
> would appreciate any reading that you might suggest which deals with
> questions related to the efficacy of computer learning-- particularly
> within the context of current educational theory and methodology. I
> haven't begun my research and any bibliographical direction you might
> supply at this point would be greatly appreciated. May I reserve the
> right to rephrase the question a few weeks down the road when I've
> done a little reading and presumably can express myself more clearly?
>
> Until that time, a colleague has added the following:
> Hopefully this will help you better understand what we are interested
> in:
> ***learning theory: How is learning on screen different than how one
>    learns in an exhibit or reading a book
> ***what is innovative in home pages and artful in designing
> information that encourages profound learning rather than just
> information grazing.
> ***How does electronic commumnication fit dynamically with
> interpreting objects........... and other relevant questions.
>
>   (If this has been thoroughly discussed in the past on the line
> could someone clue me in ..I've only been lurking for the past month
> or so)
>
> Anyway, thank you in advance for your assistance. I'll summarize
> can be reached by reached by e-mail: SRA@SI.EDU...fax:
> 202-786-2557....phone: 202-357-1510.....that about does it. thanks
> again.

Betsy Price, Project Manager            A joint project sponsored by:
The Natural History of Genes            Eccles Institute of Human Genetics
UMNH                                    Utah Museum of Natural History
University of Utah                      University of Utah Medical School
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112

801-581-6286