From:
Helen Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 23:19:15 -0500
You ask if the situation you describe has happened elsewhere, and the
answer is, unfortunately, yes.  A few years ago I attended a meeting of
the Association of College and University Museums and Galleries (ACUMG)
at College Park, Maryland, where a colleague described a similar
dismantling of a museum at her university, Illinois State at Normal.  I
am going by memory on this, so I hope I have the details right. But
anyway, as I recall, the collections were
dispersed to various academic departments.  (Having spent a lot of time
over the past several years dealing with the erratic records of a collection
that was an ad hoc
function of an academic department for decades, that's a really depressing
thought.)  And her museum itself was
over 100 years old, and I think she said it had been the oldest museum
operating in Illinois.

The leadership of ACUMG are very interested in this issue and you might
want to contact them.

--Helen Glazer
Goucher College, Baltimore, MD