From:
SBMNH Library <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 16:21:01 -0800
Dear Collegues--

I am the librarian at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History.  Part of
my responsibility includes curating art in the Museum's collection that is
less than 100 years of age.  Antique art is curated separately.  Pieces in
the Library collection include oil on canvas and board, lithographs,
watercolors, goauch, pen and ink, charcoals, pastels, pencil drawings,
photographic work, etc.  Most are of landscapes, animals, plants or Native
American subjects.  Many are by well known western artists such as Fernand
Lundgren, DeWitt Parshall, Douglas Parshall, Edward Borien and Ray Strong,
while others are by relatively unknown local artists depicting local subjects.

I am currently working on a policy regarding the decorative display of
artwork in office areas.  I know from talking to people at other
institutions that this is common practice in many other places.  I would
like to ask a few survey questions to learn more about how  this is handled
elsewhere.

If you can, please take a little time to answer my questions.  Thank you.

DOES YOUR INSTITUTION HANG PAINTINGS FROM THE COLLECTION AS DECORATIVE
DISPLAY IN NON-EXHIBIT AREAS?

        ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES?

        CURATORIAL OFFICES?

        ADMISSIONS AREAS?

        OTHER (PLEASE SPECIFY)

IF YES TO ANY OF THE QUESTIONS ABOVE, IS THE LIGHTING IN THESE AREAS
FILTERED TO SCREEN OUT UV LIGHT?

ARE THERE WINDOWS IN ANY OF THESE AREAS, AND IF SO ARE THEY GLAZED TO FILTER
SUNLIGHT?

DOES YOUR INSTITUTION ROTATE THE ART ON DECORATIVE DISPLAY IN OFFICES?

        IF SO, HOW OFTEN?

DOES YOUR INSTITUTION LIMIT THE TYPE OF ART THAT CAN BE SHOWN?

DOES YOUR INSTITUTION HAVE A WRITTEN POLICY REGARDING ARTWORK USED FOR
DECORATIVE DISPLAY IN NON-EXHIBIT AREAS?

        IF SO, WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO SHARE YOUR POLICY WITH THIS INSTITUTION?

WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR INSTITUTION?

ANY OTHER COMMENTS YOU'D LIKE TO MAKE?

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me with this project.

Terri Sheridan
Acting Librarian

Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
2559 Puesta Del Sol Road
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
Phone: (805) 682-4711 ext. 329  FAX: (805) 569-3170
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]   WWW: http://www.rain.org/~inverts/