From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 18:17:54 -0800
>Actaully I'm curious if any of the museums w/WWW sites have programs
>where they make access available to visitors to the physical museum.

Yes, indeed.  We have purchased and are in the process of installing
several computers which provide 'public access'.  One computer presents
CD-ROM titles (both titles to be developed in house for this purpose and
commercial titles).  The other computer is being configured to provide easy
access to the WWW, with numerous 'subject' bookmark sets which we will
change as our programs change.  The computers are being placed in our
'hands on' discovery room.

In addition, we are developing a 'kiosk' which will present both CD-ROM and
Internet to the visitor.  The kiosk will provide materials which supplement
the exhibit, and offer the visitor the chance to 'explore the topic' via
the Internet.  Most importantly, the material available on the kiosk will
also be available to the visitor after they return home, via our web site.
This will provide the visitor with the opportunity to 'follow up' if he or
she so desires.  In addition, the web/kiosk will deliver pre-visit
materials to teachers and educators.  The first of these kiosks is being
devloped for a new traveling exhibit "Cats, From Wild to Mild."  If you
would like more information about the exhibit, please contact me off the
list (shameless plug).

Jim

Jim Angus
900 Exposition Blvd.