From:
Wray Kephart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 15:24:46 GMT
on Mon, 27 Nov 1995 14:53:10 -0500 Jim E Chase ([log in to unmask]) posted:
X While you ( Robin Panza) are certainly correct in that certain birds are
X protected by law and individuals cannot possess the whole or parts of these
X birds unless certain other laws are in effect. As in the possession of eagle
X feathers by Native Americans. My sources inform me that neither Ravens or
X crows are protected by law as migratory or birds of prey and it is not a
X violation to possess the remains. In fact these two birds are often
classified
X as pests. I suggest that you call the local USFWS and ask for the definitive
X statement on protection, if any, for the raven and proceed from there. I do
X not believe you will find any.

X I might also add that to simply throw out bird remains of a protected
X species is a violation. The remains should be given to the USFWS for
X disposal. They will either provide a suitable home, often to a Museum, or
will
X offer certain remains to Native Americans, also if suitable. USFWS maintains
X large collection of these remains which Native Americans may tap for various
X activities. Here again your best bet is to contact the local USFWS.

X I also believe the jewelry sent to the First Lady contained eagle feathers,
X or some other protected species. Hence the hub bub.

Ravens are classified within the Crow family <4 types>. They are hunted
in all parts of the U.S. as "Varments", some states have no restrictions
on hunting, some have period blocks of 3 months. The hunt permit is
known as a varment permit which can include raccoons, opossom, squirrel,
coyote etc. Thanks for the response.