From:
George Wurtak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 15:18:16 GMT
Mike Teskey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It is amazing how uncritical visitors are about their experience.  "We like
>it."  "We enjoyed it" predominate visitor comments, both on exit surveys and
>focus groups.  The few critical comments we got were the most valuable,
>however, as these people seem to understand the true shortcomings of the
>current situation ( at least based on our evaluation of the site).

You might have better luck surveying the "non-users" of the facility.
These might be the folks that have attended and have left
dissatisfied, vowing to never return, or folks that do not associate
the place with a worthwhile experience.  People that have already made
the decision to attend may either associate the place with value due
to earlier visitation, or are coming to a totally novel experience,
with perhaps little in the way of preconceptions.  Thus, the
favourable comments.

>with what they experience from the site; therefore deeper questioning is
>needed or more people need to be queried in order to get those who can
>provide more quality feedback. Is this a valid observation?

Yes, quite possibly.  It could also depend on the style of evaluation,
the type of evaluative instruments employed, or who and how is doing
the interviews.  You didn't mention the scale of the sample size,  how
the questions were posed, and how random was the selection.
You may want to try a different approach, such as focus groups with a
skilled facilitator.

>are spending their day with loved ones;  therefore their experience is
>undeniably shaped/skewed by the interaction they have with one
>another--moreso, perhaps, than how they experience the site and its

Yes, quite right.  However, another slant to this is that in the very
busy style of life nowadays, any family time is precious.  That could
lead to much greater expectations for the family experience.  Families
simply cannot afford to waste such precious time on a mediocre
outcome.  It would be interesting to test your hypothesis.

Good Luck

George Wurtak
Director of Programs
Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature