Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 12:55:21 -0400
>For a WWW-project regarding museums on the web we are looking
>for URLs of museums that have a presentation on WWW.
>Please post the URL, including a short description and city/country
>of the museum.
>In the near future we will be including these URLs in a list on
>(virtual) museums worldwide.

        Hi ---

        One thing I have never understood... There must be at least five to
ten MAJOR MAJOR lists of virtual museums  compiled.  Why do people feel
obliged to create new sets of lists when 99% of the material is covered on
another list?  I can see some reasons for new lists:

        1.)  The old lists are maintained somewhere far away and it takes
too long to load
        2.)   The old lists do not cover a particular speciality area
        3.)  The old lists have ceased to updated recently

        Even given those reasons, I almost wish that we could all decide to
appoint someone (not me heaven forbid) keeper of the list freeing others
from feeling compelled to start their own.   I guess people just like
having their own lists.

        Also, how many people think the main reason to have a Web site is
to increase museum thruput.  That is, how many believe that the main
purpose for the Web is to attract more people to the real museum?  I tend
to think that very few people actually developing web sites have that goal
in mind.   I do think a lot of Webbies use such a tact  to rationalize the
existence of the site.  Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Robert Guralnick | Museum of Paleontology | Department of Integrative Biology
University of California | Berkeley, CA 94720 | (510) 643-9746 |