From:
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 00:53:15 -0500
At 07:34 PM 11/25/95 GMT, you wrote:
>I read the abandoned property information from Indiana with some interest.
>We have another type of abandoned object problem which I would like to
>throw out to the list for comment.
>
>Our regional conservation center has several objects in our care which
>received conservation treatment.  We have had no response from the owner
>for nearly three years.
>
>The answering machine takes messages at the number of record.  Mail,
>including registered mail, seems to be delivered correctly.  Still, the
>owner has never contacted us.
>
>There is an outstanding balance due for our services, but at this point
>it seems unlikely that it will ever be paid.  We have no written policy
>regarding abandoned items, so it seems we cannot take possession of
>these objects, either.
>
>Does any institution out there have an abandoned objects policy?  I am
>also looking for suggestions on formulating one - how long must the piece
>be left before it is considered abandoned, what constitutes sufficient
>notice to the original owner, etc.?
>
>Thank you for your help!
>
>        Lorinda Gayle    [log in to unmask]

Lorinda,

The following occurs to me:

Obviously, I know nothing of the specifics of the case, such as how well you
know the party who submitted the item.

It occurs to me, however, that you may be overlooking the real purpose of
the putative "temporary abandonment." The outstanding bill may have little
or nothing to do with it. It may be just a small part of the ruse.
Considering the high cost of storage and insurance of valuable items, not to
mention the difficulty of finding a really reliable facility, cultural
institutions such as museums may fall victim to a subtle scam whereby a
supposed customer for your services might obtain not only excellent
conservation and other services but also years of free storage, insurance
and all of that under the best and safest possible conditions, with the
victimized institution being in every way responsible for the safe-keeping
of the items.

It seems to me that this is something likely enough to happen frequently to
unwary institutions, to justify a survey to determine the facts.

One way to avoid such a situation would be to have an effective agreement
applicable to all items left in the custody of the institution for
conservation or any other services or for possible loan. Such an agreement
might state not only what is being left off, and for what purpose, and for
how long; it might also include a release allowing the museum, after a given
period of time,  to put the item into a specific commercial storage
facility, a hold-harmless clause, the cost of any storage, insurance etc
imputed to the party who left it behind, and interest on these charges.

Do you think that this could be a frequent problem, and would it be
worthwhile to have one of the related professional organizations do a survey
or issue an advisory? Or am I being over-cautious?

Mark

Curator, B.W. Schlesinger Fdn.
email:  [log in to unmask]