From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 13:06:38 -0800
As one who was born in the late forties, it was WWII with which I
identified as a young boy pretending to kill and be killed in the
adventurous soldier games of my happy and secure neighborhood.  Later on,
it was Vietnam that shattered those childhood fantasies.

I have great respect for those who heeded the call to duty after Pearl
Harbor and for those in charge who assumed the enormous weight of
responsibility for the war's decision-making.  But I also believe it would
be wrong to protect from critical scrutiny those historical events from
which new generations draw an influence. It does not do a disservice to the
sacrifice and patriotism of the men and women who fought and lived through
the war to now question the voracity of decisions regarding when and where
and whether to have used the atomic bomb, or to note its human
consequences.  I am sorry the generation before me had to face that
horrible moment in history and am proud of them for doing so, but I am less
concerned with protecting their belief systems than with telling the story
without a bias of historical self-righteousness.  We owe this to our
children who might someday face decisions of equal consequence.

Curators of historical exhibitions containing such social and moral
implications ought to approach their subjects without bias and, as Audrey
Davis suggests below, conduct research in that open frame of mind.
Critical objectivity may not be so readily available to individuals who
lived through WWII and whose lives became profoundly affected as a result.
For them, the war has a single interpretation because people they love died
during its battles. For them, to imagine otherwise might demean that memory
and render such sacrifices meaningless.  It is sad this is so, because
history does not have to be only celebratory in order to honor its fallen
heroes.  When museums succumb to social or fiscal pressures to bias their
presentations, as in the Enola Gay episode, they violate a trust that is
central to their reason for existing.

Stephen Nowlin
Director, Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design