From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 13:04:57 -0500
On         Mon, 13 Nov 1995 Joshua Heuman <[log in to unmask]> said
(regarding the Maeght Foundation):

>The collection of modern art is exhibited in rotation in
>specially designed rooms: canvases, sculpture, ceramics and drawings by
>Braque, Chagall, Leger, Kandinsky, Miro, Giacometti, Bonnard, Derain,
>Matisse, Bazaine, Hartung, Tapies, etc. as well as works by several
artists
>of the younger generation (Adami, Garache, Messagier, Viallat, etc.).  The

>Foundation organises annual exhibitions.  In summer, during the temporary
>exhibitions, the permanent collection is not displayed."
>
>I can tell you that this is certainly not to missed if you get to the
south
>of France.  I went from room to room drooling the whole time!

I haven't been to the Maeght Foundation Museum in over twenty years, but I
remember well the overwhelming sense of disappointment I felt at the time.
In a crowded setting one is (or was?) presented with large scale
manufactured replicas of the works of great modern artists -- the classic
repertoire, as it were.  (I know, we don't call these pieces replicas --
let's call them simulacrums.)  At the Maeght their manufactured essences
seem an imposition.  Their lack of human touch stands out, no doubt because
the scale of these so-close objects is so much larger than life.  At best,
the effect seemed somewhat surreal -- as if, say, Claes Oldenberg had been
let loose to replicate the cast room (that art historical theme-park) in
the Victoria and Albert.

Perhaps my reaction was due to the feeling that the space seemed to belong
to the sculpture and not to the people -- who rather appeared to be
squeezed out.  In contrast, I offer the sculpture garden at the Pepsico
Headquarters in Purchase, New York.  There over lifesize sculpture resides
in such a natural harmony with both landscape and viewers that one may
easily wonder which first hit that spot: art or nature -- a modern
Sonehenge to the Maeght's stuffed attic.

--

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant
P.O. Box 93, Larchmont, NY 10538