From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 18:07:55 EST
>The latest odd question to come up at work is how to store old, oversized
>vinyl records.  I understand that it is possible to buy archival quality
>record boxes, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest a more
>affordable alternative.  Should records be stored lying flat, or standing
>on their edge?  Any other pointers for proper care?

First, be certain that they are vinyl. Store them on their edge.
If stored flat they will warp. Place them snugly in boxes so they are
not leaning at an angle. Again, if they lean they will warp. Vinyl
records are quite succeptible to changes in temperature, once warped
they cannot be "fixed" Archival quality record boxes aren't really that
expensive. Don't ignore the album covers either. They should be cared
for just like any other paper artifact.

Diane Gutenkauf, Curator
Elmhurst Historical Museum
120 E. Park Avenue