From:
Sally Ann Stanton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 10:54:27 -0600
Regarding Tim et al.'s questions about psychographics, Marilyn (Molly)
Hood wrote her dissertation on the criteria for museum participation as a
leisure activity for adults, and has continued to research and publish
her findings on the psychographics of museum visitors for a number of
years. She drew her ideas from marketing/psychology and applied them to
visitor studies. If you want references to any of her articles, I can
rustle some up for you. One of her interests is matching the museum
environment with visitors physical and emotional needs, thus the interest
in psychographics.
'
Her work stimulated my upcoming dissertation research on the influence of
gender on the use and perception of museums in the US. If anyone has any
references to gender influences on everything from museum visitation to
how museum resources are allocated (ie, how much is allocated to
children's education (think: traditionally women's stuff) vs. what is
allocated to hard science research (think: traditionally men's stuff) or
even how exhibits are presented...are representations dominated by one
gender? etc)...I havent found much work on this area specifically in the
literature. I am trying to approach it from an anthropological point of
view, rather than psychological. I'd appreciate any info offered.

Hope this helps!

Sally Stanton
PhD. Student, Anthropology and Museum Studies
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee