From:
Denise Santoro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 1995 12:59:46 -0800
Gail Levin,

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but we (AltaMira Press/AASLH) publish a
book on the care of historical collections.  It is $16.95.  Some ad copy and
the table of contents are below.  If you're interested in ordering it, email
me at: [log in to unmask]  The book is currently being reprinted,
so I wouldn't be able to get it to you until early December.

--Denise Santoro
AltaMira Press

THE CARE OF HISTORICAL COLLECTIONS is a wonderful handbook which gives you
and your staff the crucial knowledge you need to start and maintain sound
programs of storage, display and environmental control for your historical
artifacts.  Providing instruction for both the expert and novice
conservationist, MacLeish offers sound advice on how you can take a few
active measures to protect, clean, repair, and care for objects most
commonly found in museums or private collections.

CONTENTS: Preface/Preface to the First Edition/Introduction/1. The Artifact
and Its Documentation/2. Controlled Environment Vital for Collections'
Conservation/3. Good Storage--and How To Keep It that Way/4. Planning
Security for Building and Collection/5. Fire Protection/6. The Collections
Workroom: Equipment and Use/7. Packing Artifacts for Shipment/8. Paper: Care
and Conservation/
9. Conservation of Wooden Objects/10. Skin and Leather Artifacts/11. Metal
Objects: Care and Conservation/12. Textiles: Care and Conservation/13.
Ceramics: Care and Conservation/14. Glass: Problems and Solutions/15.
Artifacts of Bone, Ivory, and Animal Teeth/16. Stone Artifacts/17.
Photographs/Appendix 1: Adhesives/Appendix 2: Padded Coat Hangers for
Historical Garments/Appendix 3: Suppliers of Materials and
Equipment/Illustrations Acknowledgments/Index