From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 10:51:18 -0400

>In her Oct 17 message Ms. De Armas mentioned "mass repatriation planned
>by Suzanne Harjo's rainbow coalition"
>
>For those of us in the far far west, please provide more specific
>information on this plan / coalition.

I apologize for my outburst, but repatriation is a touchy subject here in
Washington. Susan Harjo is, to the best of my knowledge heading up a
Pan-Indian group to take all unclaimed bones, burial remains and associated
funary objects (not sure about the sacred stuff) and dump them all into a
mass burial site somewhere in New York. I found out about it through a small
blurb in Aviso which said you could write AAM and ask for the latest info on
the Repat issue. I get upset b/c a great deal of the artifacts being
repatriated were NOT stolen by grave robbers. However, NAGPRA requires you to
produce receipt of legal tender if purchased. There are no allowances for
trade. Anyway, the Rainbow coalition actually belongs to Jesse Jackson and
not Susan Harjo. Mea Culpa.