Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 14:57:57 EST
Greetings to all Museum-l types,

  We are looking into the feasability of building a quartz crystal model.
The model sides would be of clear plexiglass and inside would be a model
consisting of balls and rods to show the internal molecular structure of the
crystal.

  I have several questions.  First, I need a good source for suitable parts
to build the molecular structure.  I have seen "build your molecule" sets
designed for teaching, but which are made of plastic and not suitable for
museum display.  I assume that there are parts for this purpose available
somewhere.

  If anyone else has done a model like this could you send me pictures and
offer advice.  This will be a project done by a student who has not
previously done something like this.  We also would like to do this on a
budget of $200 (or less) for materials. We are anticipating a model 1 - 2
feet all and a foot in diameter, more or less.

  Anybody who has information or advice can send to me directly and I will
distribute this information to others who ask for it.

Kevin McCartney, Ph.D.
Associate Prof., Geology
Director, Northern Maine Museum of Science
University of Maine at Presque Isle
Presque Isle, ME  04769