From:
Kristen Lea Elsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 17:52:50 +1000
Dear Mia

As far as Australia is concerned, it might be helpful to contact Museums
Australia, the peak industry body for museum professionals nationwide. It
is roughly the equivalent of the American Assoication of Museums, but on
a smaller scale. There are currently about 2400 individual and
institutional members.

I am currently working there as the Membership Officer, and so can
provide any information to you about this organisation. We publish
'Museum National' a quarterly magazine discussing issues of interest to
Art, Science and History museums and staff; provide advocacy at a
national and government level; publish Jobsheet, a monthly broadsheet
with many museum positions/internships being advertised nationwide;
provide Touring Resource services; offer a Professional Development
program; as well as many other services.

We have a national office based in Melbourne, and eight state/territory
branches around Australia.  We also have a range of special interest
groups that members may participate in from education, registrars,
maritime museums to visual arts, historians, sports museums, and many more.

For further information, please contact

Museums Australia Inc
24 Queens Parade
North Fitzroy Vic 3068