From:
Henry Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 16:50:23 -0600
Check the Western Illinois University Archives and Special Collections in
Macomb, IL.    There you might find info on a German POW camp called Camp
Ellis, affectionately called "Swamp Ellis."  It was located some miles east
Macomb, and some parts still remain visible.  Western is my almer mater and
my wife worked in the archives for a few years.  It is also a regional
government depository.  Additionally, there is a state-wide archive system
called IRAD to which they are linked.  The place is full of resources.  Ask
for Marla Vizdal or the Archivist, Gordana Rezab.  Say hi for me.
Good luck.

Henry B. Crawford
Curator of History
Museum of Texas Tech University

>I am writing to inquire if anyone happens to have information about POW
>camp located in the United States during WWII.  I am a historian employed
>to write a history/archaeology report about a Japanese and German POW camp
>in southwest Wisconsin, and though that there may have been some research
>done on the subject of WWII POW detained in the U.S. perhaps in
>correlation with another type of WWII exhibit.  I know that posting this on
>a museum list may be a bit unusual, and apologize for any inconvenience.
>
>Anyone wishing to respond to this request can contact me via e-mail at
>
>Thank You.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Heather L. Spencer

Henry B. Crawford