From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:36:16 -0400
In a message dated 95-10-11 00:10:13 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Diane
Brenner) writes:

>  Could the directory come out on cd with an extended subject field
>(and make it searchable?)  Seems there should be a better finding method
>than guessing who might have something.

In a perfect world, perhaps. In the last five years I have struggled to build
a bibliography (that I can't seem to get published now), crosslist a HRAF OCM
code against all OWC codes, and now create a directory out of scattered and
oudated resources. The problem is money (isn't that the root of all evil in
the non-profit liberal arts world??). If the world was on one huge internet
database or everything was on CD, I admit it would be a great deal easier.
But it would also be so expensive to maintain. Besides, a small part of me
enjoys finding the needle in the haystack and the inexpressible feeling of
knowing that your research is complete and unique (even if no one else
cares). Can you believe that I went through the Official Museum Directory
page by page b/c the subject guide sucks so bad? And I am entering the stats
by hand b/c we cannot afford it on CD ROM. Whew, thanks for letting me get
that off my chest.

- Adrienne