From:
Bethany Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 12:07:01 -0400
I was reading the New York Times today, and a front page article about global
warming struck me.  Climatologists are saying that sea levels will raise on an
average of 1.5 feet, making river deltas and other low lands flood permanently.
The Nile delta was included in the map illustration.  How is this going to
effect ancient Egyptian sites along the Nile, and how are Egypt's museums
approaching this?  There have already been rescue efforts for sites along the
Nile before (often in response to flooding by man-made devices, such as dams),
but this might threaten even larger areas.  Not to mention the dislocation of
all the people living by the river....

Bethany Hoffman
Oberlin College