From:
Farar Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 23:20:55 -0400
Reports of the Valentine Museum's imminent demise are greatly exaggerated.
While I appreciate Robert Walden's concerns for the museum's health, I must
alleviate his fears that our collection or any other part of the museum is
on the auction block.

Here is what is indeed happening:

1.  Valentine Riverside, the 8-acre history park that is one of the
Valentine Museum's two sites, is undergoing a legal separation from the
Valentine Museum.  Riverside will be administered by a separate nonprofit
organization.  Perhaps the confusion has come about because there may be a
hiatus in activity at Riverside while the new managing organization is forming.
2.  The Valentine Museum has undergone sever financial difficulties of late.
There have been layoffs, and the museum will have a leaner staff  this fall,
as another posting suggested.  In addition, the Valentine's Board of
Trustees, the City of Richmond and the local corporate community are
negotiating plans that will ensure the financial health of the institution
for the next century.
3.  The Valentine Museum has absolutely no intention of auctioning off its
facilities or collections.  I encourage you to come see our stuff.  We are
an active institution with a full schedule of exhibitions planned for the
next five years.  Our next exhibition will open March 1, 1996.  It is an
NEH-funded show called "America's Reconstruction:  People and Politics after
the Civil War," and is a collaboration with the Virginia Historical Society.

Many thanks for your concern for the institution.  We appreciate it.  If
anyone has any questions or concerns about the Valentine, feel free to
contact me directly at [log in to unmask], or call me at 804/649-0711.

Farar Elliott
Director of Public Programs
The Valentine
The Museum of the Life and History of Richmond
1015 E. Clay St.
Richmond, VA  23219