From:
Arthur Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 08:59:12 -0700
>Ive heard everything from
>ravens are considered a separate species from crow <whaa??when?> to
>being informed that they are protected even tho they are pests not
>migratory and still hunted in parts of the US. Oh well.

If I'm reading this correctly, this seems to imply that ravens _are_ the
same species as crows.  For the non-biologists, be assured that the Common
Raven (_Corvus corax_) is indeed a separate species from the American Crow
(_Corvus brachyrhynchos_) as is the Chihuahua Raven (_Corvus cryptoleucus_).
 There also are other species of "crows."  Unfortunately, in some areas of
the country that lack crows, ravens sometimes are called by that name.
Never trust a common name.

Cheers!

Art

Arthur H. Harris