From:
DREWERY DYKE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 17:43:15 GMT
I have to agree with what Naomi says. Web pages can not and
should not replace a real museum experience. One can not gain the
same feeling as one does in a gallery. Museum visiting is a cultural
and intellectual experience. We visit exhibitions to find out and
feel the atmosphere. We get more involved if we are there and take our
live experience further by associating with related events. We go
around the museum to share a cultural and social
event with our friends. We enjoy learning if we can share it. That is
quite unlikely with Web pages. I consider it as an individual and static
learning. Besides how can the blind gain anything, at the Web pages, without han
dling
collections? I think Web pages should exist in order to supply
preliminary information on museums, but should not insist on
replacing a real museum experience.

Funda Pakis
MA Museum Studies
BA Prehistoric Archaeology