From:
"Bruce A. Barton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 07:48:53 -0500
John:

Try referencing The Conservation and Restoration of Ceramics by Susan Buys
and Victoria Oakley published in 1993 by Butterworth-Heinemann.  In  Chapter
7, the discuss Cleaning and in particular, they address the use of hydrogen
peroxide as a bleaching agent on pages 93-94.

Bruce A. Barton

>>Date:         Tue, 7 Nov 1995 11:14:11 -0500
>>Sender: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
>>From: Ivy Strickler <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject:      Re: MUSEUM-L Digest - 5 Nov 1995 to 6 Nov 1995
>>To: Multiple recipients of list MUSEUM-L <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>>>I am very curious to learn if there exists a technique for whitening old,
>>>yellowed porcelain that involves heating it in conjunction with hydrogen
>>>peroxide.  Is this a silly notion or apt to work?  Would appreciate some
>>>guidance.
>>>John McDonald
>>>Yale Art Gallery
>>>New Haven, CT
>>

>>John,
>>
>>I haven't heard of this one before, but in my flea market days we used to
>>soak old crazed pieces in water with bleach to lighten them up and
>>eliminate the crackle look. Do not try this on a valuable piece, and follow
>>up by soaking in plain water. I'm sure this is toxic and not
>>conservatorially correct, so I'm including it as anecdotal, not as a
>>recommendation--I don't want to start another firestorm like the one
>>occasioned by the person who mentioned cleaning silver with mashed
>>potatoes!
>>
>>ivy
>>
>>Ivy Fleck Strickler                     Phone 215-895-1637
>>Drexel University                       Fax 215-895-4917
>>Nesbitt College of Design Arts          [log in to unmask]
>>Philadelphia, PA 19104
>>
>>"Never forget that life is like a Fellini movie, and you're getting to see
>>it for free."

Bruce A. Barton
Graduate Student
Historic Preservation Planning