From:
"Paul H. Pincus" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 21:06:07 -0500
At 01:15 PM 11/3/95 -0800, you wrote:
>I hate to be cranky, but the whole concept of the web is universal
>access by adhering to STANDARDS--html standards for starters.
>Here is my flammingly pissed-off message for those who are so hip out
>there that they have to put up sites that "have to use Netscape..."

HTML standards are just that - standards for HTML.

Not necessarily standards for internet or web users.  Perhaps the current
standards are not high enough for the technologies possible on the internet.

If you really want to get upset you should check out Sun Microsystems
HotJava site.  Java applets on the web are the next wave of internet
technology AND at the moment you can only access them using the HotJava
browser (which you can download from http://java.sun.com.]  The new version
of Netscape can also access Java web programs.

If we stick to HTML then all one will be able to do on the web is read text.

Java allows you to interact with actual software over the internet, hear
sounds and view animations WITHOUT having to load viewers and audio players.
For everyone in the museum field creating virtual reality exhibits and
providing conducted tours with sound, movement and images the same as you
could using an interactive CD-ROM program is now possible [and more]. You
can have the cyberspace museum you always wanted. Create a more intimate
experience for new audiences with your institutions collection and programs
over the internet.

Paul H. Pincus
Secretary, Treasurer & CFO
Smith Renaud, Incorporated