From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 13:15:02 -0800
I hate to be cranky, but the whole concept of the web is universal
access by adhering to STANDARDS--html standards for starters.

Here is my flammingly pissed-off message for those who are so hip out
there that they have to put up sites that "have to use Netscape..."

NETSCAPE may have 85% of the desktops, just like Microsoft, BUT
NETSCAPE IS NOT A STANDARD!!!  Netscape IS NOT ported to all
platforms, so those pages that are "Netscape only" are acting in an
exclusive, proprietary, non-open standards manner.  Those people are
defeating the very paradigm which has evolved us OUT of the dark and
cavernous days of proprietary information access.  Think toward the
future, folks!!!   Pass up the nifty, bitchen Netscape Extension
tricks and think about global access for once, now that we have
finally enabled it!

Here is an equitable observation about the social impact brought on
by the richest man in the country:

Q: "How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light
bulb?

A:  None, they just declare darkness the standard."

Another "Very Different Website" is http://www.joeboxer.com
Maybe somebody could visit that site as well and then put up a page
describing what they see for the benefit of those who ONLY adhere to
agreed upon STANDARDS like HTML 1.0, HTML 2.0 and HTML 3.0 (soon.)

Robert MacKimmie
San Francisco
"advocate of open-standards information formats"