From:
Kathrine L Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 09:17:11 -0600

I have nothing against professionalism - in fact I have an MA in Museum
Studies myself - but isn't one of the things that makes museums so unique
and better able to respond to society the diversity of the people who work in
them?  I have worked  in a wide variety of museums, from historic houses
to university art museums and have been involved nationally with EdCOM.
I would consider all the people I have worked with professionals, but
certainly not all had museum studies degrees. In fact, I challenge
everyone to think about those they have worked with....

We need to be careful how we "test" or define museum professionals or we
exclude so many talented and necessary people.  Keep in mind the older
people in the profession, products of the days before museum studies
programs, or a development officer who is great at fundraising, but is
still learning about museums.  Creativity - so essential to a successful
museum - comes from the meeting of many minds/types/experiences!

Also, standards and testing will not necessarily lead to monetary
fulfillment.  Witness the plight of teachers in this country!  And,
although I'd loved to be wealthy, don't we do this because we love it?
Qaulity should be our main concern here, not money!  And quality may not
be so easliy defined.

Kathrine