From:
YASUO TSURUHA/NDJ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 09:20:43 JST
 Hello all,

 I work in an automobile parts manufacturing company in Aichi,JAPAN.
I am going to take a Japanese Curator Exam next month.
And I am going to find a job in a museum or related office
and am going to study "hands-on", children's museums and education,
especially museum education.
 I do not have the clear image of the goal or purpose of hands-on.
Now I think...
 The precondition of hands-on is trusting children themselves.
The goal of hands-on seems simply that children realize the old Chinese
words,
"What I do, I understand." through their experience with the five senses.
So, hands-on exhibits assist children with their self-realization.
These assistance is maybe the purpose of hands-on. From this point of
view,
the concept of hands-on is the most important stance toward education
that
means originally, "pull and stretch one's talent".
 And I know that knowledge is weighed so much in education system.
So the concept of hands-on helps to retrieve the balance. That is, the
concept
of hands-on can adjust the lack of the balance between experience and
kowledge.

 But I have no idea how it realizes, because I have no experience
in museum education and exhibits. I have only a few knowledge about
hands-on.

 Would you give me any idea? About your way of thinking,
to recommend books to read, etc.
 And would you explain relations between hands-on and Psychology,
especially Adler Psychology?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Yasuo Tsuruha
NIPPONDENSO co.,ltd.
Engine Electrical Planning Dept.
1-1,Syowa-cho,Kariya city,Aichi Pref.,448,JAPAN
tel:+81-566-25-8765
fax:+81-566-25-4672

e-mail:[log in to unmask]