From:
Richard Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 13:20:39 -0800
On Sun, 29 Oct 1995, Helen Edwards wrote:

> I have recently returned to University (I took first year courses 30 years
> ago) and am studying art history.
> The topic I have chosen for my term paper is "The Artist as Propagandist".
> I was wondering if there has been an exhibition at any time on the subject
> or if someone in museum-l land knows where I could get some crackerjack
> information to help me.
> I have visited some art galleries and museums on-line and have done
> extensive reading. I have never studied this subject before and am finding
> it fascinating. I would appreciate any help which you could give me.

The Museum of Photographic Arts here in San Diego did an excellent and
provocative exhibition entitled "Camera as Weapon," which looked at
German photography between the wars, particularly that opposing fascist
interests.  John Heartfield and other photomonteurs were especially
prominent; photographers from Czech. and other east European countries
were also included.  The exhibition traveled to
the Grey at NYU (?) and the Spencer Museum; the catalog is still
available (call David at 619/238-7559, and tell him Groucho sent ya); the
catalog is inexpensive, well-researched and amply illustrated.

Richard Perry
UC San Diego