From:
Joseph M Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 10:20:36 -0700
Erin,

Don't know if you were at my session at ASTC conference on accessiblity
but there are a lot of people and information out there that can assisit
you. My first piece of advice is make sure you seek input from the people
you are trying to serve. They can give you a perspective that only they
have. Check with Arizona State, they may have a;

"Center of Disability Related Resources" (that's what it's called here)

Also, check local chapters of American Association for the Blind, etc..

Once you start making calls, you will be overwhelmed by the amount of
resources that are available.

A really neat guy that I came into contact with while doing my session is
Bill Gerrey of the Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Foundation. He has done
some consulting at the Exploratorium and visits there a lot.
(415)-561-1677

Another guy who has a lot to say is Wes Johnson from "Accessible San
Diego"(619)-279-0704. He consults on facility accessiblity guidlines.
There may be a Phnx counterpart. His philosophy is that it's cheaper to
build it right the first time then to build wrong, have to tear it down
and then build right. You shouldn't just automatically trust architects
or local building departments.

As for exhibits, use common sense and compassion - and check with the
individules you are trying to serve.

Joe R
Flandrau Science Center
Tucson

Say hi to Sheila. If you see Grant, tell him I'm sorry we didn't get a
chance to grab a beer.