Rick Toomey <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 20:54:02 GMT
Rick P <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>i think really the larger question ought be the 21st century beginning date
>naught an ought or two.
>if i had an opening in the 21st century i've been told the date has to be on
or
>after january 1, 2001 naught january 1, 2000.
>personally i feel january 1, 2000 would be the first day of the 21st century.
>any mathematicians out there care to explain?

I'm not a mathematician, but here goes.  There is no year 0 (zero), so
the first century extended from year 1 through year 100.  The second
century would have extended from year 101 through year 200.
This would continue so that the current century began on Jan. 1, 1901
and will end on Dec. 31, 2000.

For this reason the 21st century will begin on Jan. 1, 2001.

Rick Toomey
Illinois State Museum