From:
Bruce Underwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 11:12:50 EDT
            High School Graduate Summer Intern Coordinator
What type of outreach are you referring to: programs? exhibitions? job
opportunties? internships?

In terms of internships, the Smithsonian offers many opportunities for
underresented museum audiences. Two are coordinated through the Office
of Fellowships and Grants(OFG) and another by the Office of Elementary &
Secondary Education (OESE). OFG offer a 9-12 week paid internships for
minority under graduates & graduates in the Minority Internship Program.
Also they provide a Native American Internship Program to Native
American Students (again undergrads & grads). This 9-12 week
internship's main focus is on Native American history & cultures. You
can contact OFG by email ([log in to unmask]) for more info.

I coordinate the OESE's National High School Internship Program at the
Smithsonian. In this program, recent high school graduates spend six
weeks on assignment at a Smithsonian museum or office. During which,
they explore potential careers while staying at a local university and
receiving a stipend. Also, students who live outside of the greater
Washington , DC, also receive a paid round trip ticket. In doing this,
priority is given to applicants who, without financial aid, would be
unable to participate. This small group of students (22 last yr), in
addition to their work, get the opportunity to tour sites that many
visitors to Washington, DC, do not see.

If you like to get more information about this program, please contact me direc
tly at [log in to unmask]

Bruce Underwood

Bruce Underwood               Ofc of Elem & Secondary Education
High School Intern Coord.     A&I 2283, MRC 444
Smithsonian Institution       Washington, DC    20560
202/357-4542; 357-4908-fax    e-mail: [log in to unmask]