From:
Tom Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 06:45:27 -0600
Thanks to Nigel Allen for posting the URL of the National Cryptologic
Museum (http:///www.nsa.gov:8080/museum/).  Not only did the page on
Codetalkers expand my knowledge of tribes involved by several, it is an
interesting example of an exhibit put on the internet...literally!

So far, I am more familiar with exhibits created FOR the Web (the Oneida
Indian Nation <http://nysernet.org/oneida/shako/exhib2.html>) and those
which exist somewhere but have also been the basis for an exhibit created
for the Web (the Gettysburg Address exhibit at the Library of Congress
<http://lcweb.loc.gov/exhibits/g.address/ga.html>).

This exhibit is different...each page is a photo of the actual exhibit
section in the actual museum, along with a paragraph of text.  This
approach actually puts your museum on the Web!  As an interpreter, I think
this is better than just putting pages of text on the screen, and it's an
interesting approach that did stimulate some interest in me.  I was aware,
too, that the text on-screen is longer than I would try to get away with in
an exhibit label, but not uncomfortably long as an on-screen explanation
(maybe I'm more accustomed to seeing masses of words on the monitor?).  As
they develop the site, I hope the quality of the photos can be improved and
perhaps the whole-exhibit shots can be either replaced or supplemented by
bright close-ups of  sections of the cases.

On the whole, I think this Web-site is instructive in both style and
content.  I think a made-for-the-Web exhibit can have more impact than this
effort to translate one medium into another, but for those of us thinking
of offering a gallery tour on-line, the National Cryptologic Museum's
presentation is definitely one to visit and consider.

Thanks again, Nigel!

Tom Vaughan

Tom Vaughan                    \_   Cultural
The Waggin' Tongue             \_    Resource
[log in to unmask]             \_     Management,
[log in to unmask]               \_       Interpretation,
11795 County Road 39.2                \_       Planning, &
Mancos, CO 81328 USA                    \_       Training