From:
"Laura H. Firth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:28:24 EDT
(Sorry to reply on the list but the Museums Association address wouldn't work.)

Re: your message to the Museum List in which you asked

    "Can you suggest projects that could provide useful lessons and experience
     for people wanting to improve their stores or make their reserve
     collections more accessible to staff and visitors?"

In 1993 I visited the Royal British Columbia Museum in Victoria, B.C., as part
of a group of interpreters. Doug Sage, the museum's chief of exhibit services,
described to us a new project they were contemplating to exhibit artifacts on
racks, shelves and pallets. (Fragile items would be out of reach.) Some of the
items would be interpreted and all would have their accession numbers visible.
Computer terminals would be available where visitors could type in the accession
number of an object to find out more about it.

I don't know if that exhibit ever opened but it might be worth pursuing for the
Storage issue of 'Museum Practice'. I'd also be interested in seeing an issue
focusing on interpretation, both active, through staff and volunteers, and
passive, through exhibit signage, videos and taped tours.

Please send information regarding subscription rates to
Laura H. Firth
Interpretive Exhibits Writer